The more than 150-year history of the University of Alabama School of Medicine begins in 1859, a year that saw the establishment of the Medical College of Alabama in the City of Mobile. A relocation to Tuscaloosa occurred in 1920, and in 1945, the college moved again, this time to Birmingham.
As part of the creation of the University of Alabama System almost a quarter-century later, the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) broke off from the University of Alabama (in Tuscaloosa) to become an independent institution. In that same year, 1969, the Medical College of Alabama was renamed the University of Alabama School of Medicine.
Making its home exclusively in Birmingham for its first few years, the School of Medicine subsequently expanded its operations, first to regional campuses in Tuscaloosa and Huntsville in 1972 and then to a family medicine residency program in Selma in 1977. More recently, a third regional campus in Montgomery was established in 2012.
Today, the School of Medicine instructs close to 800 students at its four campuses across the state. Students complete their basic-science credits on the main campus at UAB before dividing up their final two years between Birmingham and the three regional campuses. The School of Medicine also enrolls over 900 residents, most of whom complete their training in Birmingham but some of whom undertake residencies in Selma, Montgomery, or Huntsville.